Friday, June 30, 2006

PD / LD and SD

My cousin and uncle are here. After ten years. My uncle is 28 years elder to me and cousin ten years younger to me. Ten years back I was the same age as him. (So what is my age now). Wow, this sounds like one of those linear equations we used to solve. Hmmm.

So deep is here for DU admissions. He is still on waiting list ,Stephens. Has got through Hindu though. But that’s not why I am writing about him.
Ten years back, I was just in my first year. He was in class fourth. I was the boss. I knew everything. I told him what was right, what was smart. How the world worked. So I half expected something like that to happen this time too. When I first saw him, I thought that was true. He’s short, dark and definately not as impressive as my aunt.
But then, when have I ever been right about people. It’s almost like I don’t have a sixth sense. Or my sixth sense always misdirects me. Or maybe I just don’t think before speaking. That is more likely the case.

Let me quote a few conversations between us.

Day 1

LD(confidently and with warmth) : oh deep, its so nice to see you. You look so different.
SD is smiling
LD(going on) : so, are you nervous
SD(shrugging): not really
LD(going on) : Oh don't worry, there's nothing to be nervous. You'd get through.
SD(still smiling...is my first cousin mad???)

Day2

SD : PD, do you blog?
LD(thinks for a really long time) : weeeeeeeeeeeeeeell, yes. But no body knows about it. In fact I have a different name and everything.
LD: Do you ?
SD: yea, well its not such a CIA affair.
LD(upset and showing it): No, so mine is not a CIA thing either. It’s just a personal blog. Almost like a dairy. Very personal. So the anonymity. If some unknown person comes and reads it and comments on it, then it’s fine. But I wouldn’t like my friends reading it.
SD: but I thought the whole point of writing online was to share stuff. Don’t you think so?
LD( confused) : Yea...but then I don’t write about issues or stuff. I just write about my life. It’s a very personal thing.
SD(with a wicked smile) : ahh... so you write personal stuff.
Maa(shouting) : Have you two finished your dinner
Thank god for her intervention. I could see where this conversation was going...

Day 3

SD: you never really talk about yourself.
Ld: But ofcourse i do. what do you wanna know?
SD: Anything...any thing about yourself.
LD: Well i am a sensible, sensitive level-headed person.
SD: you know a lot of people misunderstand what is being said
LD (very emphatically, moving her hands): yea, that is so true.
SD: You know…(pauses, afterall, how can anyone be so dumb)…a lot of people don’t understand at all
LD (even more emphatically): yea you know, that happens too!

Day 4

SD : Well, I like some girls. But in general I find them too mushy. They are ready to cry at the first little excuse. Actually, you look like one of them.
(Smiling now) are you…are you PD…PD?
LD: ME…me…me…I don’t cry
SD: Come on…you’ve gotta be kidding me. You look like one of those senti types.
LD: No way...i am a lot of fun too.
SD: Well i didn't deny that. You are a lot of fun, but aren't you the mushy types?
LD: (so totally upset, decides to leave): I am not!!!
LD: (turning around)I hope you realise that you are ten years younger.
SD: Of course didi...ofcourse.

Day 5

LD: So how was your day? You called?
SD: Yea, i am in an emotional crisis.
LD: what(really worried)...what happened???
SD: she's going around.
LD: what!!!
SD: yea, can you imagine...just when i was getting all the hints.
LD (wonders about life at that age) : yea i can imagine...

Day 6

LD (trying to bully): you know, back in school boys used to be scared of me.
SD (Raises eyebrows sceptically) : really?
LD: yeaaaaaa
SD: what did you do to scare them...tell them your marks?
LD: what!!!

And if you are still wondering, lemme quote what M (a very good friend of mine) has to say about us, "Dont worry LD, your cousin is definately more mature than you are, atleast emotionally". Thanks M, that really helps!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home